Natural Cure for Ringworm
“Ringworm” the name suggests that it must be some type of worm. But it is not so, it is a type of skin infection caused by a group of fungi called dermatophytes – plants that leave on skin. This infection is named ringworm because of the irritated, itchy skin looked like that of a ring. It is also known as dermatophytosis. The fungi responsible for ringworm feed on dry cells of skin and hair. Ringworm belongs to the “tinea” group of skin infections. Beside skin ringworm can also affect nails and scalp. Animals too are prone to dermatophytes but in them ringworm does not look like it looks on human skin. In animals ringworm looks like dry grey scaly patch. It is mostly commonly seen in cats. Ringworm is a contagious disease and people with low immunity skin are more prone to it. When ringworm affects skin it starts as a red, scaly patch or bump. Ringworms are very itchy and uncomfortable. Over the time they take form of a ring. But it is not necessary that every person who is affected by ringworm will develop a ring on his skin. It is difficult to avoid ring worm because the fungi causing it is very common. Ringworm on the foot is known as athlete’s foot. In this a person develops a red patchy between his toes. Ringworm on the scalp starts as a sore and later on it becomes on patchy, scaly and flaky. It may also cause some hair to fall. Ringworm on the nails affects nails of the hands and toes. Ringworm causes the nail to become thick, brittle and white or yellowish. Ringworm on the skin can be treated using some antifungal cream but treatment of ringworm of scalp and nails requires oral antifungal medication.
Remedy for Ringworm
- Beside the synthetic medicines one can also use natural remedies for ringworm. Natural herbs found in our surrounding can be used as natural remedies for ringworm.
- Tea tree essential oils, myrrh essential oils, lavender oil, geranium oil etc can be used as natural remedies for ringworm.
- One can always count on his kitchen for home remedies for ringworm
- Below are some home remedies for ringworm
- Apply paste of mustard seed powder and water on the patch till it clears up.
- Rub a slice of papaya on the itchy ring.