Conjunctivitis Home Remedies
A conjunctivitis or sore eye as it is commonly called is one of the most common eye diseases. The common symptoms of conjunctivitis are inflamed eyelids, eyes becoming red, dry and burning sensation, water discharge from eyes and pus formation in a more severe case. Eyelids might stick to each other when they get dried while asleep.
Conjunctivitis is caused due to inflammation of conjunctiva - a thin transparent membrane that covers the eye. This disease is commonly spread through overcrowding, dirty surroundings and unhealthy living. Conjunctivitis is caused by bacterial or viral infection, eyestrain, working for long time under the artificial lights. But the main reason for this disease is accumulation of the toxins in the body due to unhealthy and unnatural lifestyles.
Home Remedy for Conjunctivitis
Doctors treat conjunctivitis by using salves and ointments, but these salves and ointments are not effective. One can treat conjunctivitis effectively at home itself. The best home remedy for conjunctivitis is cleansing the body’s constitution thoroughly.
Clean physical system and follow the natural laws of diet and general living to get rid of this disease. Start the treatment by going on an exclusive fresh fruit diet consisting of the fresh, juicy fruits like apple, orange, pears, grapes, pineapple and grapefruit for seven days. Avoid the bananas and all other foodstuff.
If problem is serious, take a juice fast for three to four days. Take orange juice in warm water every two hours from 8 in the morning to 8 in the night. When on juice fast abstain from any other food stuff as this can reduce the positive effects juice fast. One can substitute carrot juice for orange juice.
An all-fruit diet for seven days after juice fast will completely remove toxins from the body. After that adopt following diet:
- Breakfast: Any fresh fruits that are in season except bananas.
- Lunch: Large mixed raw vegetable salad with whole meal bread or chapattis and butter.
- Dinner: Two or three steamed vegetables except potatoes, nuts and fresh fruits.
Conjunctivitis patients must avoid excessive intake of starchy and sugary foods like white bread, refined cereals, potatoes, puddings, pies, pastry, sugar, jams, confectionery, large quantities of meat and other protein and fatty foods, strong tea and coffee, excessive salt, condiments and sauces as these foods harm your body and contribute to conjunctivitis.
Conjunctivitis patients can use raw juices of vegetables especially carrots and spinach as a home remedy. Combination of these two juices is more beneficial. Vitamins A and B2 in liberal quantities can help in treatment of conjunctivitis. Whole milk, curds, butter, carrots, pumpkin, green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, mangoes and papaya are good sources for vitamin A. Green leafy vegetables, milk, almond, citrus fruits, bananas and tomatoes are good sources of vitamin B2.
Applying a cold foment to the eyes will relieve the itching in the eyes as it removes the overactive blood supply. Foment can be prepared as follows:
- Fold a small hand towel and soak it in water.
- Wring out the excess water and mould it gently over the eyes.
- Keep a warm cloth over it to retain the temperature.
- Repeat this process when the towel becomes warm for one hour.
- Once through, cover the eyes with a dry towel. Lie down and relax and the damaged eye tissues return back to normal. Repeat this treatment every night for a week, even though the inflammation might have cleared on the first night.
- One can also perform eye exercises to strengthen eye muscles and treat the disease.